Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Most Important Meal of the Day.

*Yes, This took me a week to write and post.. life of a college student. I didn't even proof read, or check for typos. This post was written sparatically, over a series of days, where I somehow managed to find time between classes, mandatory "events", mass amounts of homework and reading, and trying to find my footing here at TFC... so im sorry ahead of time :)


Where I'm from, in my group of friends, we all have a general consensus.. there is one meal the trumps all other meals. And no, it is not breakfast.
 
"Wanna grab a coffee?"
 
Yep, there it is. The one question I grew, not only to anticipate being asked, but I whole-heartedly expected it.  Its such a short sentence. In fact, its not even a great sentence.. just a little, below average, sentence that most people wouldn't think much of. But to myself, and to my precious group of friends, we know its importance. We know that sentence has a sacred, valuable, and cherished meaning behind it. It goes much deeper than getting a caffeine fix.
 
 
I couldn't even begin to list the life changing, heart altering, and spiritually challenging conversations that have sparked from that sentence. I can recall so many moments, through my many years at home, that I have gotten to indulge in so many types of coffee with so many types of people. Some, I knew very well, and for some, coffee was the ice breaker that sparked friendship. My coffee date people know what I'm talking about. This is a time to sit in little coffee shops, Starbucks, or my personal favorite, in the comfort of a home. Life was shared, babies were watched (or sometimes ignored.. hehe), crafts were made, challenges were thrown down, bible verses were recited.. the best description I have ever heard of it came from a great friend, who 99.9% of the time is wiser and more godlike than most in my world, she puts it this way:
 
"We are living life together. At the end of the day, if you leave and my house is still a mess, and craft supplies are thrown everywhere, and my dishes and laundry aren't done, I will learn to be okay with that, because I know relationships happened, and those are more important than my housework."
I hope I did that justice, friend. Its a paraphrase, but the heart of your message is there there!!
 
Anyway, So what im saying it, from those many coffee dates i have learned so much about life, God, and who i am. So, where is this going.. Here we go!
 
A little known fact (lol) about me: I recently just left my home of 20 years (wow, im 20.. im old.) for college. I have been here a week and a half. I have made my dorm into my home, i have met my Profs., i have sat in chapel, and i have done the corny "Back To School" events. With that said, i will say, I absolutely adore my college life already. If you know me personally, you know that I am not a creature of change. I love the order that was my life back home. My people, my church, familiar roads and landmarks. I love it. Rather, I loved it. I have a new love now, and it is Tocca Falls College, and all that it entails.  
 
Yes, I know, im just shy of two weeks, what do I even know? I know this, for a girl (can i call myself girl? Im not a woman, this i know..) who hates change, I was ready to cry myself to sleep every night from homesickness, I was ready for the stomach knots of meeting new people and missing my old people, I was ready for awkward friendships for the next year, as I slowly caught my footing on these hilly lands. Let me tell you.. this has NOT been that case. How do I know Tocca Falls College is my new love? Because the second I stepped foot onto campus I experienced an overwhelming sense of home. Not to say I don't miss my other home, mostly my people, i dont enjoy knowing life actually DOES go on without Kinsey, but im growing to accept that, and embrace my new roles of life.
 
Anyway... Where does coffee even fit in with this?? Here we go.. Take two!
I have a friend here, and to say she's a Godsend would be an understatement. Shes an honorary soul sister. She has been a crutch to lean on in times where i feel uncertain. And yes, were known each other for 2 weeks, which is how I know God is ALL over it. If were not together, you can find us texting, plotting our next meeting, however truth be told, shes on my hall, directly diagonal from my room, so we are OFTEN together. I have loved stretching my relationship skills, because for a shy girl with 20 years of other invested friendships, i was not prepared to make friends, especially close friends, quickly.  However, I knew when her awesome self popped into my room and asked "Wanna grab coffee" this friendship was about to get real. Poor girl, she had no idea my emotional ties to coffee dates.

Long post short: This coffee date was incredible. Filled with laughter, tears, stories, and God. It kick started a friendship. It took us from shallow, day-to-day ramblings, to being able to ask the deep, hard, and uncomfortable questions. All of that from one sentence. Maybe I put too much emphasis on it, maybe it just happened. Maybe that's what you think. But I know different, I know the impact that can come from coffee drinking with people.

So where does this post go next.. i have no idea! Im still trying to finish mass amounts of homework!

Maybe you take this and make it into a challenge.. yeah! There it is!
I, Kinsey, challenge you, reader, to ask someone to coffee! Be it someone you know and love, or a stranger you wish to connect with, im telling you, nothing opens people up like a delish cup of coffee!!


1 comment:

  1. You know I love coffee and this post even more; and you, well depends on my mood- hehe. Keep sipping that yummy hot beverage it certainly is a great ice breaker and soul connector, and sweet Jesus has allowed you to sip it in a cooler climate than all of us back "home". Love so much about this post. xoxo -m

    ReplyDelete